In this episode, hosts Jim DeMicco and Madison McQuistion tackle the frustrating topic of domain slamming. Jim sheds light on this deceptive practice, stressing the importance of vigilance in domain registration and renewal. He offers actionable advice, urging listeners to use trusted services like Namecheap or GoDaddy and highlighting the significance of domain privacy. Madison’s personal anecdotes about using WordPress and Wix for domain registration add a practical perspective to the discussion.
The hosts discuss the costly consequences of falling for domain slamming and share tips on recognizing scam attempts, such as overly urgent correspondence or requests from unfamiliar sources. They advise listeners to report suspicious activities and emphasize the value of keeping domain information current and secure.
Listeners will gain a deeper understanding of domain registration, the risks associated with domain slamming, and practical tips to protect their online presence. Whether you’re a business owner, a blogger, or someone curious about the digital space, this episode is a must-listen for its valuable insights and expert advice.
Key Moments From This Episode:
- 04:50 – What is Domain Slamming?
- 05:45 – Example of a Scam Letter
- 07:54 – How to Avoid Domain Scams
- 08:42 – Register Your Domain Yourself or Hire a Trusted Website Developer
- 09:25 – Domain Privacy
- 11:09 – Use an Email Not Associated with Your Domain When Registering
- 12:45 – Make Sure You Set Up a Secure Domain Privacy System
- 14:11 – Ignore Any Correspondence Until You Know It Came from a Trustworthy Source
- 16:58 – Set Your Domain to Auto-Renewal
- 17:22 – Contact Your Web Designer Before Doing Anything
- 18:54 – If You’re Outraged, You Can Report the Scammers
- 20:07 – Lock Your Domain
Links Mentioned In This Episode:
- 8 Tips to Avoid Domain Renewal Scams – https://skyeline.com/8-tips-to-avoid-domain-renewal-scams/
Thank you for tuning in, and don’t forget to subscribe!
Watch This Episode On YouTube: https://youtu.be/K-RfGqKyQzE